Research chemicals (also known as designer drugs) are chemically altered forms of psychoactive drugs, ecstasy amphetamines and cannabinoids. They are structurally similar to scheduled drugs and can be called their analogues. On the contrary, entheogens legal highs are natural plant extracts. These herbal highs have been used by people for recreational purposes for thousands of years. These are just the simple definitions for these two variants of compounds. Read on to find out the main differences between research chemicals and entheogens.
- Research chemicals are mainly used for scientific & research purposes, forensic toxicology labs, and in vivo testing. They are used in the development of novel pharmacotherapies.
- The sole reason why these synthetic drugs were created is to overcome drug legislation as some of the psychoactive drugs are banned in some countries.
- The 'research' word is used for two reasons: these drugs were usually found through a process of research such as exploration of analogues and testing existing psychoactive substances, and secondly, they are used only for research studies in laboratories.
- They are readily available online from research chemical suppliers or vendors.
- The best known entheogens are Salvia divinorum, Kratom, Ephedra, Kanna and Kava kava but there are many more.
- Entheogens have been used in many ways, such as in established religious rituals, for personal spiritual development, as recreational drugs, and for medical and therapeutic use.
- Entheogen was coined as a replacement for the terms hallucinogen and psychedelic. In the early years of research into these drugs, scientists called them by the name "psychotomimetic" –which means mimicking psychosis.
- A study “Marsh Chapel Experiment” by Timothy Leary and Roland Griffiths' psilocybin studies at Johns Hopkins have documented reports of mystical and religious experiences from participants who were administered entheogen psychoactive drugs in controlled trials.
- Investigators working on entheogens need to find out the answers relating to epistemology, ontology and objectivity.
Today scientists are looking for research chemicals and entheogens at online research chemical vendors in Europe or other countries in order to create analogues and compounds that can be used for medicinal purposes and for treating chronic illnesses.