Understanding the psychoactive properties of Alpha-Methyltryptamine
Alpha-Methyltryptamine (AMT) is a potent stimulant, enactogen and psychedelic research chemical that belongs to the family of tryptamine. The chemical was originally developed at a Michigan pharmaceutical manufacturing company known as Upjohn as an antidepressant in the 1960s. This pharmaceutical drug was previously sold under the name Indopan in the Soviet Union. It has molecular formula of C11H14N2 while IUPAC name is 1-(1H-Indol-3-yl)propan-2-amine and molar mass is 174.24 g/mol.
Structure of AMT
General Formula of a Tryptamine Molecule
α-Methyltryptamine is a synthetic indole alkaloid molecule that comprises a bicylic indole heterocycle, an amino group, an ethyl side chain and methyl group. αMT is found as a freebase in the form of racemate of its (R-) and (S-) enantiomers. αMT is closely related to the neurotransmitter serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine), which means it can have the same mechanism of action like that of serotonin (though research studies have not been conducted on αMT to determine its exact mechanism of action).
Pharmacology of Alpha-Methyltryptamine
- αMT acts as a releasing agent of serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine. It is also a non-selective serotonin receptor agonist and reversible inhibitor of the enzyme monoamine oxidase (MAO).
- αMT's psychedelic effects are due to its partial agonist efficacy at the 5-HT2A receptor.
- It also produces long-lasting serotonergic neurotoxicity at very high doses.
The Psychoactive Properties of αMT
- The positive effects of αMT include stimulation, mood lift, hallucinations, increased energy, increase in awareness and empathy.
- Some annecdotal reports suggest that αMT functions as an anti-depressant at doses of around 5mg daily.
- Since it belongs to the class of tryptamine it can cause strong distortions and delusions and many other effects similar to those of lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), psilocin and 3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA).
- It produces more stimulant style effects with a faster onset and a shorter duration.
Potential Research uses of αMT
αMT has been found to enhance acuity, colour and pattern recognition in human beings. It can be used by scientists or researchers as a research chemical to find out the exact impact of αMT on an individual having vision or color/pattern recognition problems via in vitro experiments. Buying research chemicals online like αMT for scientific experiment is now quite easy. You can simply search over the Internet to find the most reliable and trusted research chemical supplier or vendor in Europe in order to get your required research chemicals delivered to your research organisation or laboratory. Note: You must check the legality of this chemical compound in your native country before ordering it online.